Saturday, April 17, 2010

Row, row, row your boat......

This country life thing has it's difficult moments. Today we are having a nice slow, steady rain. The kind of rain that soaks in to the ground and replenishes the moisture and makes the grass grow. The kind of rain that is wonderful for all the spring seedlings and newly planted seeds. The kind of rain that sounds so wonderful on a metal roof.

It is also the kind of rain that slowly and steadily makes the creek rise. Makes the creek look a bit like the levee failure in the Ninth Ward. Makes the creek look like the Guadalupe River after a sudden summer downpour.

So here I sit, unable to travel beyond the border of my property. Normally that is such a wonderful thing and I don't even want to leave but when you CAN'T leave it seems that the mind conjures a thousand things on your "to-do" list that involves travel to anywhere BUT here.

Well no one ever said it would be easy. I'm guessing this is why we spend all our "spare time" putting up jars of jelly, harvesting squash, planting, pulling and drying bunches of onions, freezing brussel sprouts, grinding pears for pear honey and feeding/catching catfish. So when the great conflict finally occurs that we won't starve. We wil be self sufficient. We'll hunt and fish and live off the land. However.....we will be a bit limited on our menu as I'm discovering there isn't much you can make without a good store of grocery store items. (Note to self: stock up on more staples!)

So as the creek rises, I'm looking through the cookbook for any recipes that combine wild plum jelly, squash, onion, brussel sprouts and catfish with pear honey as a garnish. Once I locate that recipe, I will have it made. Only problem is I won't be able to eat it since all the horses will be staring at me through the windows because I was NOT able to get to the feed store for Purina Strategy.

Wonder how they feel about brussel sprouts?????

No comments:

Post a Comment